Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sightseeing in London (lots of pictures)

This post is going to be photo heavy. Saturday I did about six hours of sightseeing in London. I put on my headphones and listened to my best of british music, including my new favorite Ed Sheeran, as well as Mumford and Sons, the Housemartins, The English Beat, and a mix that was made by y brother as a gift before i left. The weather was beautiful. 75 degrees and breezy, although things deteriorated as the day went on. First, I went to Oxford Circus to visit the Apple store to get a card reader so that I could upload pictures. Then from there I went to Westminster. My primary focus was the London Eye, a huge ferris wheel with pods that hold about 25 people each. One full rotation on The Eye takes thirty minutes. It was a beautiful until about ten minutes before I boarded, then a light rain made taking pictures from the eye difficult. However, because of the shape of the pods, I was able to shoot from the floor and avoid the droplets since they were only on the top half. I then did some walking and took the following pictures. I have many more, but here are some of my favorites.


The London Eye.


What the pods look like.


Some shots of Big Ben, and the British Houses of Parliament.


Westminster Abbey.


These were in the alcove to the right. Jenette, I made sure to touch some of this old stuff just for you, especially the doors and columns.


The famous South Bank Lion.


A distant family member of my mom.


Some cool elephants outside of an Indian hotel.


All of the following are from Buckingham Palace. Four activists had climbed the gates and locked themselves to the bars in an attempt to call attention to their cause. This meant that things were really locked down, and I had to take many pictures from further away, and at worse angles than I would have liked.


Oh, and A'Leigh, stay away from Jubilee Gardens, there are lots of people in costumes. I think I caught three in this one shot. On the other hand, Mr. Baretto, you could make a mint out here.


That's it for now. I have to pack up all of my stuff. Tomorrow I report to my first L'Arche community. I am really looking forward to it. I do not know what kind of access I will have there, so until I write again, be well.

2 comments:

  1. amazing, amazing pictures. looks a little different than when I was there 30 years ago! looking forward to following along on your journey over the next weeks through your blog and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure the picture even freaked me out. Just by looking at the people in costumes. Sorry Baretto....they still freak me out! A'Leigh

    ReplyDelete