Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Last Day in Lambeth, 6/28/2012

First, I want to start this post by saying a very special hello and thank you to the delightful German woman who leads the craft workshop. She took me under her wing, and although she drives a hard bargain, she runs a nice workshop. (I told you I would do it.)

Today was another very nice day in L'Arche Lambeth. I spent the first half of the day in a local art club with two core members, and an assistant from the United States that has been with L'Arche for about 30 years. The art club was nice, and consisted of about ten people from the local area. Everyone there was quite nice, and their art was incredible. While the art group was meeting, I had some very good conversation with the long time assistant.

Following the art club I went back to Subway, for the third straight day (it feels like home and settles nicely), and then headed back to the craft workshop. I was happy to finally have a drink that was full of ice. They had Orange Fanta on tap, that was not the same as at home, but surprisingly light and delicious. I have been craving ice like pregnant woman with a mineral deficiency since I got here. I know I could be getting a better taste of the city by eating at local places, but my stomach has still not quite settled. I merrily walked to the workshop while sipping my Fanta and crunching my ice.

Once at the workshop I was happy to again meet more people from even more countries. I think in the last four days I have spoken to people from at least 10 countries who are all part of this L'Arche community. (I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing each of their experiences.) I helped as a core member worked on a hook rug, a difficult skill that she has mastered beautifully. After the tea break I was given the task of working to fill gaps in a nearly completed piece. I found this work to be surprisingly therapeutic.

My evening concluded with another lovely dinner at The Dove. It was a nice way to conclude my visit in Lambeth. I am now back in my room at Chestnut trying to contemplate how to best re-pack my bags for my flight to Ireland tomorrow morning. I am being picked up by a taxi at 5:30 tomorrow morning, so I need to get in the bed as soon as possible, but I doubt that will happen.

To everyone at L'Arche Lambeth, thank you. Thank you for your hospitality. Thank you for letting me into your Community. Thank you for everything. I wish all of you the best in all of your future endeavors. I will certainly never forget this experience, and the parts each of you played in it.

Before signing off I want to clear up some of the language I have been using in these posts. In the U.S. there are things called "sheltered workshops," or at least there used to be. This type of work environment has fallen out of favor, and is slowly being replaced by better, more appropriate work sites. However, while talking about the workshop at L'Arche Lambeth, it is truly a workshop, in all senses of the word. This is a place where candles, weavings, ans other products are made, and should not be viewed through the negative guise of American terminology.

Good night.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the pictures of the workshops. How are the core members trained? Do they employ people with these skills to train? The products look beautiful. I am so interested in how these workshops operate. Did you get an opportunity to spend time in the houses other than at dinner?

    ReplyDelete