Saturday, July 7, 2012

Seolta, and Mutually Transformative Relationships

On Friday I had the opportunity to visit Seolta, the main house of L'Arche Dublin. This was my first voyage away from my hotel in my rental car, and it was quite rainy. I was actually quite happy with how well this expedition went. Upon my arrival in Seolta, it was clear that this was a different type of house than I had been in thus far. It was a single story house. All of the halls and doorways were wider than standard. You see, Seolta was a purpose built home, designed to adequately meet the needs of individuals with intellectual disabilities who are also wheelchair users. Not all of the core members use wheelchairs, but this community is equipped and prepared to meet those needs if necessary. As it was explained to me, the woman who started the Dublin L'Arche Community had an accident in her twenties. This accident resulted in her using a wheelchair, but also influenced her decisions in forming a community that was accessible to people with these needs.


During my visit at Seolta I had two nice, long conversations; the first was with the assistant's coordinator, and the second was with the house coordinator. Both of these conversations were extraordinarily informative, and I am grateful for the time they took out of their day to sit and talk with me. This community is different from others that I have visited because there is no true workshop, although there are plans for this to happen. Many of their core members attend courses and groups within the community. Behind their house are two small cabins. One is used for different arts and/or craft projects, and the other is for music. Also, there is a garden area called Green Fingers, which provides the opportunity for lots of community interaction. Several different groups come to the garden to work with the core members in the upkeep of the garden, including a group of retired adults, as well as school children.


While talking with the house coordinator, he mentioned the concept of mutually transformative relationships, and this idea struck a chord with me. This is a concept that lies at the center of all L'Arche communities. Most volunteers or companions are asked to commit to at least a year in the community. During this year the hope is that they will bring their own gifts and talents to share with the community, but that they too will be influenced and impacted by the relationships that they have with the core members. There is often a defining moment when volunteers recognize and accept their weaknesses and flaws, and realize that they still have worth and value, not despite these characteristics, but because of them. Jean Vanier, founder of L'Arche and current Nobel Peace Prize nominee, speaks of this in many of his writings. As a man who came from leadership roles in a military background, he talks of the trials and benefits involved in moving away from the typical concepts of working or moving your way "up the ladder," and living within your own weakness. On the volunteer's side of things, gaining perspective on this concept can come from their time within a community.


Jean Vanier
On a very different note, there are lots of people that I am thinking about and missing right now. In Farmville, Virginia my mother's family has gathered for their family reunion. This is a gathering that happens only once every 5 years, and not being there is not easy. I wish I could be there to share in the festivities with everyone. Also, in the bopping metropolis of Blackstone, Virginia 125 of the greatest people in the world are gathering for the July session of Camp Rainbow Connection, the camp that is responsible for me finding this path of working with people with intellectual disabilities. I wish them all nothing but the best, and that they too get to experience mutually transformative relationships of their own during this week of fun and fellowship. Finally, things in Ireland got brighter this morning when I picked up my dear Rachael at the Dublin airport. It has been a wonderful day with her here by my side. I am excited about the journeys that lie ahead of us in the upcoming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment