Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Kilkenny Conclusion

This was another wonderful day in Callan. It was the first day since I have been here that it did not rain for the majority of the day. With much thanks to my hosts, they had arranged for me to have some one-on-one meetings with some folks from their Community. First, I headed to the cafe to brainstorm some ideas with one of the assistants who practices life skills with the core members who live in their own flats. I love working with people to come up with ideas that may help folks achieve greater independence. I purchased my lunch from the cafe, a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a slice of apple tart, then returned to eat it at the workshop.

Following lunch I met with one of the Assistan's Coordinators. After discussing the financial aspect of how L'Arche opperates, specifically within Ireland, we reviewed perceived strengths and concerns. We then walked across town to a place called KCAT, an art center for people with and without disabilities. It opperates as a branch of what are called Camphill Communities. Like L'Arche, there are Camphill communities all over the world, and in Ireland they have grown side by side since their openings. Many similarities can be drawn between the two, but the primary distinguishing characteristic, as I understand it, is that L'Arche communities are faith based communities, where Camphill communities are not. The KCAT building is three stories tall, with class space on the first floor, studio space for the more established artists on the second floor, and some living spaces on the third floor. The art produced in this environment is astonishing.

The KCAT building
My evening concluded by heading to a Community house for dinner and what they call "quiet hour." This was a nice meal in a house that I had not yet visited. Again, I am impressed by how large and nice these houses are. After dinner, some core members and assistants from the other two houses came to the house to participate in quiet hour. Quiet hour consisted of songs, prayer, a reading, music, silent meditation/thought/prayer, group prayer, and more songs. We then concluded, as most L'Arche activities do, with tea. I am now at my residence, preparing to start packing for my early morning departure. My time here in L'Arche Kilkenny has been absolutely lovely. I am forever grateful to all who opened their homes and hearts to me, and allowed me to participate in this wonderful Community.

I hope that all of my friends in America are having a great 4th of July! Please eat a hot dog and hamburger for me. Ooh, and a bomb pop too, if it isn't too much trouble. Tomorrow I head to Dublin. Until then, be well.

I think this keystone sums it all up




No comments:

Post a Comment