Friday, July 6, 2012

July 5th Travel Day

Thursday was another travel day. I have come to the realization that these are my least favorite days of this trip. There is just too much uncertainty and anxiety wrapped up in these days. Pile on top of that the fact that everything takes three times as long as you plan for, and costs to twice as much. The bus ride back to the airport to get my rental car set the tone for the day. I got on when the bus was relatively empty, but that did not last long. Luckily I was able to sleep for a portion of the ride, but before I knew it the bus was full to over capacity, with people standing in the aisle. I felt like if any more people had boarded, we would have looked like a scene from a movie where they are in an underdeveloped country where women are riding with their chickens and guys are on the roof with their radios blasting.

Next was dealing with the rental car company. After the things they did to me, they should at least buy me dinner. I stepped out having paid nearly double the amount I went in expecting to pay. It was either that, or have them place a hold of 4-times the amount on my card for the remaining duration of my trip. I think not. Then, an hour wait on the curb waiting for the shuttle to take us to the lot, I nearly lost my dignity. We're it not for my desire to represent my country positively, and being surrounded by a group of Jahova's Witnesses, I may have done just that. I finally get out of the lot, driving a stick shift on the wrong side of the car, and on the wrong side of the road. Only by the grace of God do I make it to my hotel. When I pull into the underground parking I hear what sounds like a snow shovel being pushed along a dry sidewalk. After some investigating, it appeared as though a plastic engine guard had come loose behind the front bumper. I went into the hotel, only to be told that I could not check in, then called the rental company. I was happy to return the noisy vehicle, and was lucky to be placed into a newer model.

When I finally returned to the hotel, and was able to check in, I was exhausted and wanted to do nothing. I sat down, put my feet up, and slipped in and out of sleep while watching Wimbledon. Watching and napping to Wimbledon is one of my all time favorite summer activities. When it came to dinner I again paid more than expected for sub-par hotel food, but my desire to not go anywhere far outweighed my desire for a fairly priced meal. I got to talk to Rach, then it was off to bed. The last time I have a day like this, it will conclude with me in my own home. Although I am not looking forward to the end f this trip, I am not sure I could handle many more days like this.



This picture has nothing to do with this post, but it is one of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment